Monday, April 23, 2012

Forks. Definitely forks.

Yesterday I watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives. If you've seen it, you'll understand why a low carb diet is no longer an option for me.

The documentary talks about the roll animal protein plays in the progression of cancer and heart disease. Scientific research has proven that a diet high in animal protein increases cancer mortality rates as well as heart disease. According to these studies, a whole food plant based diet cannot only decrease a person's chances of getting these diseases, but also sometimes reverse the effects of these diseases.

Tests showed that a diet of 20% animal protein exponentially increases the risk of cancer and heart disease. A diet consisting of 5% animal protein on the other hand exponentially DECREASED the risk of cancer and heart disease.

With all this said (and a ton of other information from the documentary), I have decided to try and adopt a much more plant based diet. In the past (my teen years), I have attempted to become a vegan. With a lack of understanding and knowledge I was unsuccessful. Today, I feel more informed and much more capable of changing my lifestyle and eating habits.

Now, I know you are probably thinking, but what about protein. A plant based diet does contain protein and there are there are other was to get the protein that you need; and our protein requirements are not as high as we have been lead to believe.

Yesterday's grocery purchases included only fruits and vegetables, lentils, whole grains an fish. I figure I can't go vegan in a day, and fish is the best option at this point.

So last night it was a delicious veggie stir fry and cantaloupe for dessert. This morning, once I can get into my kitchen again, I will be having one piece of while grain bread with natural peanut butter and an all fruit (and a little pectin) jam.

I know this option may not be for everyone, but I am hoping that it will work for me. I want to grow old, watch my children grow and keep my family healthy. If this goes as planned I truly believe that this will give me the best chance of doing just that.

For those of you who want to check it out, I believe the website is www.forksoverknives.com.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT plan Tiff!!! There are lots of protein options that are not animal based! If you ever need a little pep talk just contact me!

    ReplyDelete